Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Redeeming Love

Isaiah 43:1 has never sounded so true and passionate to me. I can almost hear God saying it:

But now, thus says the Lord, your Creator . . . He who formed you . . . "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!"



I know this book's cover makes it look like one of those trashy love novels, but it couldn't be further from it. Redeeming Love might be my favorite book ever. This book was absolutely amazing, life-changing, poignant, touching, heart-rending, inspiring, triumphant and harrowing all at once. I cannot begin to explain how deeply it moved me. I finished it in matter of days and immediately started reading it all over again. What a beautiful, clear picture of God's love for his children! I cannot recommend this book enough. It is a "must read." It's fiction, but based on the biblical story of Hosea and Gomer. Hosea was the man God called to marry a prostitute.

The author, Francine Rivers, says that, "Writing Redeeming Love was a form of worship for me . . . Everything in Redeeming Love was a gift from the Lord: plot, characters, theme. None of it is mine to claim." And you can tell. God is all over this book, revealing his character and the depth of his love to the reader . . . to me, and I pray to you as well! Do yourself a favor and read it. Most assuredly you will know Him and love Him on a deeper level when you finish this book. I hope I've done a good job of convincing you to read it!

I love what the author wrote on a blank page before the book begins,

"To those who hurt and hunger."

Isn't that all of us?

2 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

it is such an amazing book. i started late friday night and finished during lunch on tuesday. i'm ready to start reading again.

heather k said...

I have been told many times before to read this book and I always forget. But after your description of it, I have to go buy it! Your blog post should be on the back cover. :)