Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Galations 2:20

There hasn't been too much going on in the Adams family lately. Therefore, I thought I'd change it up a little bit and write about what's going on in my spiritual life.

The Bible tells us to write God's Word on our heart - or something like that. I admit, I haven't made a strong effort to memorize verses of the Bible. In fact, I probably only have a few memorized in their entirety. I knew that the Bible said something about "writing God's Word on your heart," but I had no idea what the exact verse said, or where I could find it. So I had to look it up. The one I was looking for was Proverbs 7:1-3 which says,". . . Keep my commands within you . . . bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart."

So the other day I was thinking that my New Year's resolution should be to memorize at least two verses of the Bible per month. And then the Holy Spirit reminded me that I don't need it to be the "new year" before I start.

Here's the verse that popped out at me, and therefore the one I've decided to memorize, and apply for the next two weeks: "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Gal.2:20

This verse reminds me that I should not live for myself, or my own selfish desires, but to live my life in constant surrender to Christ, who loves us beyond comprehension.

I received this quote in an email the other day, and thought it complimented that verse well: “The secret of true discipleship is to bear the cross... to deny any right that self has to rule over us. Death to self – such is to be the Christian’s watchword. The surrender to Christ is to be so entire, the surrender to live for those around us so complete, that self is never allowed to come down from the cross to which it has been nailed, but is always kept in the place of death.”

Sometimes when I continually run into verses, quotes, stories, etc. that have a similar message, I realize God is telling me something. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate priorities, or re-examine my heart. In any case, I'm thankful we have a Creator who teaches us, and gently reminds us of what will truly make us happy - a life surrendered to Him.

No comments: