Thursday, November 26, 2009

Headboard

I mentioned a few blog posts ago that one of the main projects I wanted to accomplish while Brian was gone was to design and build a headboard. We have a California king size bed and unfortunately here in the Southeast, stores don't carry or sell many California king size headboards. I also did not want to spend a lot of money and the ones I really liked were between $800 and $1,500. So the solution was to make my own. However, I only wanted to do that if we could make it look like we bought it from a store. I saw too many DIY headboards on the internet that looked homemade. To me, that's pointless. I didn't want a headboard that looked like my 5th grade science project.

Over the last few weeks and with the help of my parents, we created our first headboard! It was hard; much harder than I anticipated, but it was also really fun. I think I would enjoy designing and building furniture for my house in the future if I possessed the necessary tools and knowledge. I don't think I'd mind the work, there is such a strong sense of accomplishment after you finish a project and get to display it in your home.

I absolutely love the way this headboard turned out! And I am especially proud of my very handy father who did most of the "grunt work." Mom and Dad, thank you so much for helping me with this project! So without further ado . . .





5 comments:

NatleiLynn said...

Impressive! And I'm jealous you have a California King...we have a king and I think it's fabulous...I can't IMAGINE the sprawling out I could do with a California King :)

Shannon said...

AMAZING Linds!! It looks so good! Just like Pottery Barn...

Michelle said...

Daniel and I are so excited to hear of your wonderful news! Congratulations! The headboard is amazing too, by the way! Love, Michelle Crowson

Unknown said...

Great Job! I like to place my order now!! We have a king size bed also and I feel your pain on trying to find one at a resonable price. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Do you rent your parents out to others for making of headboards? Sreiously, that is a BEAUTIFUL job you guys did!!!! Love ya!

Lauren E. Hudgens